Saturday 20 August 2022

The Fighter review

 Number 408 on the top 1000 films of all time is David O'Russell's biographical sports drama The Fighter.

Micky Eckland (Mark Wahlburg) is an up-and-coming boxer coached by his brother, famed ex-fighter Dicky (Christian Bale) and managed by his mother Alice (Melissa Leo.) With the help of new girlfriend Charlene (Amy Adams) Micky aims to make a name for himself.

Since starting this challenge, I have watched a lot of boxing films: RockyRaging Bull and Million Dollar Baby. And I didn't like any of these films, because I don't care for boxing. The Fighter was no exception. As I don't care for boxing, I couldn't get invested in the film. For me, there was no tension or stakes. I couldn't give a damn if Micky won his fights or not and I certainly didn't care if he became the champion of the world. And considering that's what the film was building to but that didn't make it very interesting for me. And I know the film is all about boxing, but the boxing montages were very boring. I know this is a very subjective take - I'm sure boxing fans would love this film, but I didn't.

What's more objective is Mark Wahlburg's performance. I don't particularly like him as an actor or a person. He always takes the same roles, generally as the tough guy hero with the emotional range of a block of wood. Considering the film is called 'The Fighter,' he is weak-spined. Obviously he's a boxer who could quite easily knock me out, but why couldn't he have done the same to his manipulative, conniving mother and seven sisters? They were the very definition of toxic.

Dicky wasn't much better, leeching off of his brother's achievements, because he couldn't quite reach those heights himself. In fact, the only likeable character was Charlene, because she is one of the very few who had Micky's best interests at heart. All credit to Amy Adams for a great performance.

If you're a boxing/Mark Wahlburg fan, you'll probably love this film, but I am neither, so I did not. And, finally, there are lots of strange accents in the US, but Massachussetts has to be one of the strangest.

No comments:

Post a Comment