Monday 29 August 2022

The Be All and End All review

If you're a long-time reader of my blog, you would know that I am working through the top 1000 films of all time. However, this film doesn't appear on this list, so why am I reviewing it?

The Be All and End All was written by Steve Lewis and Tony Owen who wrote the indie comedy-drama, and one of my personal favourites, Three and Out. They stumbled upon my review and sent me the link to their next film 'The Be All and End All.'

Robbie (Josh Bolt) and Ziggy (Eugene Byrne) are two fifteen year old boys and best friends in Liverpool. When Robbie is diagnosed with a terminal heart condition, he asks Ziggy to help him fulfil his dying wish: to not die a virgin.

At heart, this is a coming-of-age film about the bond between these two best friends. It was darkly comic, but also tragic and touching. Robert has a goal, which is relatable for teen boys everywhere, regardless of whether they're dying, and Ziggy's efforts to help him, leads to some of the film's funniest moments. He takes Robbie to a brothel, which, of course, is promptly raided by the police. Ziggy has to carry the virtually naked Robbie back to the hospital.

One of my film's favourite scenes is when Robbie is approached by a lady who works for something similar to the Make-a-Wish foundation. She wants to help him realise his final goals whether that's swimming with sharks or meeting the Avengers. When he snaps that he wants to lose his virginity, she suggests going to Disneyland instead. This character was a great example of the cliched, well-meaning, but misguided people who are always wanting to help. I work in an old people's home and I've lost count of the amount of do-gooders suggesting nice, but completely impractical things for the residents to do. 

I also loved the scene where Ziggy stands up to the school bullies making fun of Robbie's heart condition. It was very satisfying to see them get a punch to the nose.

As well as being a good comedic actor, Josh Bolt was also great at the sadder scenes. In a confrontation with Ziggy, he breaks down saying that "he doesn't want to die." And for how the film is laden is with sexual innuendo, I did like how they underplayed the ending. Robbie loses his virginity to his old flame Sophie in a simple fade-to-black. This leant a nice elegance to the scene. It was all we needed to see. But I was a little puzzled that despite how Ziggy organised for this, he also went ahead in organising a prostitute for Robbie as well.

Steve Lewis explained that the film was made on a time budget. Sometimes this isn't a bad thing like in the Irish romantic-comedy Once. However, it did look like that director Bruce Webb shot the film using natural lighting, lending a dark, subdued tone to most of the film. While this might be appropriate for the subject matter, it also did make it difficult to actually see everything.

There was a subplot of Ziggy trying to reconnect with his errant father. It didn't receive the same importance as the main plot, so it didn't land for me. In the ending scene, we see him finding and embracing his father in a big hug. I'm not sure how believable I find that considering their fractured relationship.

It was also highly unlikely that a nurse such as Tina (Liza Tarbuck) would ever have the time to help Ziggy and Robbie, but I think it worked for the purposes of the film.

All in all, while being far from perfect, I did enjoy the film. It was a charming British indie film. Word of warning though, if you do watch it, then be prepared for the Scouse accents. They are thick. 

1 comment:

  1. I also enjoyed this film. Lots of funny moments. But I can't believe a nursing sister would collude with the boys' nefarious schemes like that.

    ReplyDelete