Sunday 16 October 2022

The Man from Earth review

 Number 337 on the top 1000 films of all time is the science-fiction film 'The Man from Earth.'

John Oldman (David Lee Smith) is an academic moving on from his old life. At his farewell party, he reveals a big secret to his fellow academics: he claims to be a caveman who has survived 14,000 years into the modern day.

Before I watch these films, I generally take a cursory glance of their Wikipedia pages, so I know what I'm up against. When I read about this film, I thought it would be a tedious, surreal, philosophical arthouse film a la Ingmar Bergman.  And we've established that I'm not a fan of Bergman.

However, that assessment could not have been more wrong. Despite The Man from Earth being little more than a one-act play, it was very engaging. The academics discuss the philosophical nature of Oldman's being in a way that is accessible for audiences to understand. It isn't too scholarly neither is it oversimplified. I never felt like I was being talked down to or did the dialogue feel contrived.

And as the story advances things only become more interesting as Oldman's story is examined from different academic disciplines - from biology to archaeology and even theology. This culminates in the implication that even this outlandish claim didn't harm the suspension of disbelief. This claim and the others were all backed up by reasoned logic like any academic argument.

I also really enjoyed the ending. *Spoiler alert* Under duress, Oldman reveals this was all an elaborate prank. Some of his friends believe him and others. But without any conclusive evidence to either prove or disprove him, the audience is left to make up their own minds.

This film definitely surprised me. It was quiet, understated but very powerful.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this film. It could easily be staged as a theatre play. Despite it's being speech rather than action, it held my attention throughout. The characters were well delineated. The writing was excellent, and the plot line, I thought, was original. I also really enjoyed the final twist.

    ReplyDelete