Sunday 3 October 2021

Kill Bill Volume 2 Review

 Number 324 on the top 1000 films of all time is Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill Volume 2.

This is another film I'm watching out of order as it happens to be one of my girlfriend's favourite films. Beside I watched the first part out of order, so it only made sense that I do the same here.

The Bride (Uma Thurman) is still seeking revenge on her former boss Bill (David Carradine) and the last surviving member of her elite unit Elle ( Daryl Hannah)

As some of you may remember, I wasn't a fan of the Kill volume 1. I declared it was more of a homage to martial arts films as opposed to a film in its own right. I understand that was the point, but I do think That Tarantino took it too far. Thankfully Volume Two was far more straight forward. Brilliantly choregraphed, but arguably extraneous fight scenes gave way to more conventional storytelling. And a hell of a lot dialogue. As far as Tarantino films go, there was an an awful lot of talking which slowed the pace down to a crawl.

   I understand that this is another hallmark of Tarantino and while it was entertaining to see Vincent Vega and Jules Winnfield talk about what they call cheese burgers in France or why Mr Pink doesn't tip, but the dialogue in kill Bill felt stilted and very on the nose. This was especially the case near the film's climax which should have been but most dramatic part, but I was struggling to stay awake. I fell asleep and my girlfriend had to tell me how it ended.

   That being said there were some great, albeit ridiculous sequences of the Bride being trained by martial art master Pai Mei (Gordon Liu) This was a wonderfully choregraphed sequence that was very entertaining to watch. The fight brutal fight scene between the Bride and Elle was also thrilling to watch.

And I would be remiss not to compliment Uma Thurman as the Bridge. She gave the role a depth and humanity that otherwise might have been lost. Even when she was squishing Elle's plucked-out eye underneath her foot. Seriously, Tarantino, did we really need a close-up of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment