Sunday 10 January 2021

My Sassy Girl review

 Number 162 on the top 1000 films of all time is the Korean romantic-comedy My Sassy Girl.

Gyeon-Woo (Cha Tae-Hyun) is a college student who is very unlucky in love.  When he has a chance encounter with an unnamed woman, (Jun Ji-hyun) he soon becomes deeply enamoured with her.  But will she prove to be his break in love?

My Sassy Girl has pedigree.  Upon its release it became the highest-grossing romantic comedy in Korea and one of the highest-grossing films of all time especially within Far East Asia as a whole.  However, I do freely admit that it wasn't for me.  Personally, I didn't think the humour was very funny.  It seemed too lean heavily into gross-out humour.  When Gyeon-Woo first meets the unnamed woman, it's when she is drunk on the train.  Shortly after she throws up.  I didn't find this funny, but more disgusting.  Maybe that's just me.

I think the film works better as a romance rather than a comedy.  I was far more invested in the romantic elements than I was the comedic ones.  I was far more interested in seeing Gyeon-Woo falling deeper in love with the unnamed woman who initially treats him very cruelly.  This is soon revealed to be the girl's way of expressing her affection for him.  Although the two part ways, they reunite in what was a very sweet ending.  

So ultimately, I wasn't the keenest on this film.  It worked far better as a romance than a comedy, although the ending was quite delightful to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment